About Me

My photo
Hi, My name is Irene Owens. My greatest passion in life is Art. I love drawing portraits, painting whimsical pictures and illustrating for children. I also collect children's books and hope to one day get one of my own picture books published. I have a shop on Etsy where I sell my prints, hand painted pendants and mirrors. In this blog you will find artists that inspire me, brilliant handmade creations and my own art. I hope you enjoy my posts.

Saturday 4 February 2012

Quint Buchholz

When it comes to children's illustration, my tastes are quite old fashioned. I like realistic art, traditional materials, soft colors. Controversial pictures, grotesque characters and very dark colors seem to be the trend these days (at least among grown-ups assigning picture book awards) but I don't think they are always appropriate for children. I'm not so sure these books will  be treasured by kids, passed from generation to generation. One of my favourite books, "Sleep Well, Little Bear" illustrated by Quint Buchholz will always hold a special place in my library and I'm certain that my son will love it when he's a bit older.
Here's a few illustrations from the book.




Quint Buchholz also does brilliant whimsical paintings








Aren't they fantastic?


2 comments:

  1. You see.... Now I want this book as well.... And I so agree about the trends in illustration... I bit sad really....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get this book! It's absolutely fantastic :) On Amazon you can get it for ridiculous £0.09 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0374370265/ref=sr_1_cc_1_olp?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1328459279&sr=1-1-catcorr&condition=used

      Delete